What is PCOS?
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) a hormonal disorder that effect the endocrine system. It is a very complexed disorder and can present in many ways and it can vary from person to person. As the name states “polycystic” it suggests that there are multiple cysts on the ovaries. But theses cysts are actually caused from eggs not being released at ovulation and then it causes cysts to forms. Also with PCOS we see that there is an excessive amounts of androgens in the body (male hormones) which can lead to insulin problems.
Symptoms of PCOS?
- Hormonal imbalance, this can lead to irregular periods, no periods, heavy periods or very painful periods. At this point the egg cannot be released properly at ovulation it can cause the formation of cysts on the over
- Reduced fertility
- Excessive amounts of androgens in the body, the main one that we see is testosterone.
- This causes:
- Excessive hair growth on the face or body (hirsutism)
- Hair loss, some suffer from balding like men
- Difficulty sleeping
- Acne can occur on your face and your body
- Anxiety, depression and mood changes
- Weight gain or difficulty to lose weight
*** to be diagnosed you generally need to have two or more of the above symptoms.
What causes PCOS?
The cause of PCOS is unknown but it has been thought to be linked to family history and insulin resistance, but this isn’t always the case for everyone.
How to live with PCOS naturally?
- Balance those hormones
- This will help with many of those symptoms and allow you to feel a lot better. In naturopathy we can look at a few key herbs to help kick start your changes. I would look at prescribing licorice and white peony. These in combination work beautifully as licorice helps to balance oestrgen levels in the body and works to support insulin levels. Licorice also has the ability to reduce any inflammation, support the immune system and help reduce the stress response as well which is important in managing PCOS or any illness really. White peony helps to reduce any stagnation which can cause the ovarian cysts, clotting during menstruation and painful periods.
- Addressing your diet
- A paleo or a high fat low carb diet can be very beneficial as it can help to avoid spikes in your insulin and it can also help with weight loss.
- Other foods or supplements that should be addressed in your diet is maybe adding maca powder to your smoothie and barassica vegetables to help with phase 2 of the liver detoxification.
- Fibre is also essential, including an extra supplement to your diet will allow any extra hormones to bind with the fibre and be excreted through the bowels.
- Supporting liver
- We need to look at supporting liver detoxification so that the liver can help metabolise excess hormones. We need to support all three phases and this can be done with herbs and nutrients.
- 30 minutes a day have shown to be beneficial in the treatment of PCOS as it can help stabilise insulin levels and even help reduce weight.
- Reduce your stress levels
- Having stress in your life can increase androgens in the body and continue to through your hormones out of whack.
If you are suffering from PCOS contact me to book an appointment!